Sunday, September 19, 2010

Lessons in Mommyhood

I was reminded again last week that kids learn things in their own time. Conner decided last Wednesday that he was ready to potty train. We'd been talking about it for quite a long time with little success. Conner is just one of those kids that it has to be his idea. I was stressed about potty training for a long time. I would see kids younger than Conner who were already potty-trained and feel somehow that I wasn't doing a good job as parent. All my worry and the pressure I was putting on myself was so silly! Potty training has been the easiest things ever. I just needed to wait until he was ready. I think I was forcing it because I wanted people to think well of me, which is completely the wrong reason for training him! I decided to back off from it for awhile and weigh my motives. It's amazing how God can use even something like potty-training to reveal sin in my heart!

Conner loves wearing underwear. He only wears a diaper at night. I NEVER thought he would be potty-trained in just a couple days! It just goes to show how once again I stressed and worried about something that ended up being no big deal.

2 comments:

  1. Molly, so glad you realized this with your first. You are such a good mommy. I remember how stressed I was and how stressed I made Tori when I was potty training her. After that, I decided to just let my other children decide when they were ready. I decided that they would eventually be trained(afterall, I didn't see many college students in diapers=). I, too, was worried what others thought of me. But after I didn't worry about it, potty training became easier. You are so wise to figure this out so early. Definitely light years ahead of me=)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I just saw your comment about the peanut butter playdoh. I need to go look that up for you and send you that recipe. We always had a lot of fun with that, but the peanut butter smell did sort of nauseated me after a while (I know, I am weird..ha).

    ReplyDelete