Thursday, June 16, 2011

Thoughts

I have always struggled with contentment and this last week, I've been a real complainer. I haven't felt very blessed. I've been focusing on what I don't have or don't get to do, instead of all I have and all I've done. Instead of fighting for joy, I've been feeling sorry for myself. I'm doing a bible study on the book of Psalms this summer and I came across this verse last week.

"Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man against whom the LORD counts no iniquity..." Psalm 32:1-2a

It struck me that that verse is the very definition of being blessed. I am blessed because I have been called, redeemed and adopted into God's family. I think I usually measure being blessed by material blessing, but God doesn't owe me anything. Even if I never received anything else I ever wanted, I AM blessed because I AM God's child.

But God in His great mercy and love blesses me in so many ways every single day, despite my complaining heart. "...they (the Israelites) did not believe in God and did not trust his saving power. Yet He commanded the skies above and opened the doors of heaven, and He rained down on them manna to eat and gave them the grain of heaven." Psalm 78:22-24 That is the God we serve. A God who really does pour blessings upon His children.

I think the thing I want most in life is to have joy right where I am...to give thanks in all things. The Israelites in Psalm 78 where limiting God's work in their life by their unbelief and complaining at it's core is unbelief.

4 comments:

  1. Molly this is such a sweet, true, and encouraging post. I know we all go through times of discontentment (I definitely have) ;), but it's so amazing that as soon as we DO realize and remember that being in Him is the true meaning of joy in life...than nothing seems to matter anymore and you are FILLED with peace and that sweet rest. You seem like such an amazing mom too! In the next few years I will have to ask you to share your wisdom with me;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes! encouraging to me too. i feel like "contentment" and what it takes to be truly content has been on my mind/heart a lot the past few months.

    ReplyDelete