Thursday, January 26, 2012

chicken potpie

I LOVE chicken potpie and I love using my crock pot.

Tonight, I had a great success. I tried a recipe that married the above. I've been trying to utilize my crock pot more to help with smoother dinner times. It's just so challenging to get healthy, filling meals on the table that don't take hours to put together. AND, if your children are like mine, the 4-6 o'clock hour is not their best time of day. I was thrilled when REAL SIMPLE (my absolute favorite magazine) featured crock pot recipes in their last issue.

I just have to share with you. It turned out fabulous and was so easy.

creamy chicken potpie

8 oz cremini mushrooms (I actually used diced potatoes, because I'm not a huge mushroom fan)
1 med onion, chopped
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken
kosher salt and black pepper
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
1 bag frozen mixed veggies
1/3 cup heavy cream

1. In a slow cooker, mix together the mushrooms (or potatoes), onion, flour, thyme, bay leaf, and 1/2 c water. Place the chicken on top (I thawed mine ahead of time to speed up the cooking); season with salt and pepper.

2. Cover and cook until the chicken and vegetables are tender, on low for 7-8 hrs or on high for 4-5 hrs. I shredded the chicken at this point.

3. Thirty minutes before serving, heat oven to 425. Cut pastry into 4 circles. Place on baking sheet and bake until golden, 8-10 min.

4. Ten minutes before serving add mixed vegetables, cream and 1/2 t salt to the chicken mixture and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high until heated through, 5-10 min more. To serve, place the chicken mixture in bowls and top with pastry rounds.

Conner saw the pastry puff cooling and asked what it was. I told him it was for the chicken pot pie. He got excited and I dished mine out to show him. He wasn't as impressed then (Conner is a good eater, but not as adventurous as Shep) and said, "I want my chicken potpie without the chicken or the pot. Just the pie, please. Shep loved it, though and ate an entire bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment